Blessed is the Man
Blessed is the Man
Sunday, January 6, 2008
“Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.” (Matthew 7:13-14)
1. Psalm 1 introduces us to the doctrine of the two ways, which is a very common concept.
2. Psalm 1 introduces us to the way in which we may find happiness and fulfillment in life. It is by meditation on and delight in the law of the Lord. The psalm also warns us of sure, eventual, and eternal ruin if we do not.
“Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers. The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away. Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous; for the Lord knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.”
3. Blessed is the man who doesn’t walk in the counsel of the wicked.
4. Blessed is the man who doesn’t stand in the way of sinners.
5. Blessed is the man who doesn’t sit in the seat of scoffers.
6. Blessed is the man whose delight is in the law of the Lord.
7. Blessed is the man who meditates day and night on His Law.
“The law of the Lord is the daily bread of the true believer. And yet, in David’s day, how small was the volume of inspiration, for they had scarcely anything save the first five books of Moses! How much more, then, should we prize the whole written Word which it is our privilege to have in all our houses! But, alas, what ill-treatment is given to this angel from heaven! We are not all Berean searchers of the Scriptures. How few among us can lay claim to the benediction of the text! Perhaps some of you can claim a sort of negative purity, because you do not walk in the way of the ungodly; but let me ask you—Is your delight in the law of God? Do you study God’s Word? Do you make it the man of your right hand—your best companion and hourly guide? If not, this blessing does not belong to you.” C. H. Spurgeon
8. The Blessed man is like a tree planted by streams of water and yields its fruit in its season and its leaf does not wither.
9. In all he does, he prospers
10. The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away
“So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit. A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire Thus you will recognize them by their fruits..” (Matthew 7:17-20)
11. Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgement, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
12. For the Lord knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish
“Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.” (Matthew 7:24-27)
GracePointe Baptist Church
2209 N Post Road
Oklahoma City, OK 73141
Phone: (405) 769-5050