Fear Not Little Flock
Fear Not Little Flock
Tuesday, December 31, 2008
““Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.” Luke 12:32
1. Fear is defined by Websters as - (1) frightened (2) to feel fear in oneself (3) to have a reverential awe of - "fear of God" (4) to be afraid of, expect with alarm "fear the worst," (5) to be afraid or apprehensive "feared for their lives" — The noun is fearer
2. Fear is the opposite to faith. Faith is defined by Websters as (1) belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion (3) firm belief in something for which there is no proof (4) complete trust.
3. Faith is complete trust in God and fear is a lack of trust in God. Where do you find yourself today?
4. Jesus speaks about lack of faith and fear many times through the Scripture’s but none more plainly than in Luke 12:4-7
“I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that have nothing more that they can do. But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him! Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows.” Luke 12:4-7
5. Jesus reminds us not to fear man nor fear what man can do. Instead fear God!!!
6. Jesus reminds us that God is in complete control of everything. Nothing is going to happen to us outside of His plan, purpose and will for our lives.
7. Fear is rooted in a denial of God’s character - especially His sovereignty.
8. Men hate to hear about the sovereignty of God because it reminds us that we are not in control of anything!
9. Jesus reminds us that those who belong to God are secure forever by His grace. Nothing can pluck you out of His hand.
“Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not part of my flock. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”
10. Jesus reminds us that people who do not believe Him don’t belong to Him because they are not a part of His flock.
11. Jesus also reminds us that He is the one who saves people. No one can save themselves or “be helped to be saved.” Jesus is the one who gives eternal life.
12. Jesus goes on to remind us that we who belong to Him will never perish and no one can snatch us out of His hand!!! Amen!
13. Jesus goes on to remind us that God the Father is the one who has given us to the Son and He is greater than all and just in case we are wondering - by His sovereignty no one can change His plans.
14. “Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” Luke 12:32-34
15. I want to close today looking at this passage out of Luke 12:32-34. Our Lord Jesus tells us to “fear not little flock for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.” Does this bring security and joy into your life or fear? If you are full of fear then don’t delay, ask Jesus to save you from the wrath that is to come.
16. If this message brings you hope and joy, then let us have complete and total trust in the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ and His plans & purposes!
What Proverbs has to say about the “Fear of the Lord”
• 1:7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.
• 8:13 The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate.
• 9:10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.
• 10:27 The fear of the Lord prolongs life, but the years of the wicked will be short.
• 14:26 In the fear of the Lord one has strong confidence, and his children will have a refuge.
• 14:27 The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, that one may turn away from the snares of death.
• 15:16 Better is a little with the fear of the Lord than great treasure and trouble with it.
• Prov 15:33 The fear of the Lord is instruction in wisdom, and humility comes before honor.
• Prov 16:6 By steadfast love and faithfulness iniquity is atoned for, and by the fear of the Lord one turns away from evil.
• Prov 19:23 The fear of the Lord leads to life, and whoever has it rests satisfied; he will not be visited by harm.
• Prov 22:4 The reward for humility and fear of the Lord is riches and honor and life.
• Prov 23:17 Let not your heart envy sinners, but continue in the fear of the Lord all the day.
• The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe.
GracePointe Baptist Church
2209 N Post Road
Oklahoma City, OK 73141
Phone: (405) 769-5050