How to Handle What's Handling You
HOW TO HANDLE WHAT’S HANDLING YOU
TEXT: Matthew 11:28
INTRODUCTION: Years ago a woman, with her little baby, was riding in a stagecoach in western Montana. The weather was bitter cold, and, in spite of all the driver could do to protect her, he saw that the mother was becoming unconscious from the cold. He stopped the coach, took the baby, and wrapping it warmly, put it under the seat, then seized the mother by the arm, and dragging her out upon the ground, drove away, leaving her in the road. As she saw him drive away, she ran after him, crying piteously for her baby. When he felt sure that she was warm, he allowed her to overtake the coach and resume her place by her baby. Can we not imagine her gratitude when she realized that he had saved her life? He had done as God sometimes does, to shake us out of soul-lethargy and moral sleep which would end in death.
Sometimes God is like that stagecoach driver. He will allow things to enter our lives that nearly devastate us. But, He does it to grow us and teach us more about Him. Now, we all know that trouble and trials are part and parcel of the human life. After all, Job said it, Job 14:1/ /Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble; Job 5:7/ /Yet/ man is born unto trouble, as the sparks fly upward. And so did Jesus, *John 16:33/**/ *These// things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world./ Burdens, troubles, trials and difficulties are going to come our way! That is a given. Felix Neff said, “A Christian without affliction is like a soldier only on parade.” However, what is not a given is what you and I will do about the trials and troubles that come our way.
In this little, simple, short verses, Jesus gives us clear teaching on what to do with our burdens. He teaches us How To Handle What’s Handling You. Let’s look into this verse for just a few minutes this evening and think on that thought: How To Handle What’s Handling You.
I. TAKE YOUR BURDENS TO THE RIGHT PLACE
A. Fretting Won’t Help You –
1. Most people take their burdens here, but it is the wrong place to take them.
2. After all, we are forbidden from worry by the Word,
Philippians 4:6/ /Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
John 14:1/ /Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
3. Lot’s of people are just like Martha,
Luke 10:38-42/ /Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word. But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.
B. Friends Won’t Help You
1. Job tried to tell his friends about his burdens, but he found that they were “physicians of no value”,
Job 13:4/ /But/ ye are forgers of lies, ye are all physicians of no value. /
2. The problem with friends is that they will lie to you!
a) They will allow you to wallow in self-pity and tell you that you have a right to do so.
b) They may even sympathize with you, but they can’t really help you with the real burdens of life!
3. Did you know that a real friend is someone who tells you the truth, even when it rips your heart out?
Proverbs 27:6/ /Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.
C. Fleeing Won’t Help You
1. You will never be able to run away from the problems and trials of life.
2. Israel found this out the hard way – Num. 13-14; Deut. 9.
3. Patricia Christy fled Florida to avoid hurricane Andrew in 1992. She boarded the first plan to Hawaii and arrived just in time to meet typhoon Iniki!
D. Fighting Won’t Help You
1. A lot of people try to live in denial and fight what they are called to face.
2. Fighting against what the Lord brings into your life is dangerous!
a) If you aren’t careful, you might find yourself fighting against God.
b) Two men on a bicycle built for two.
E. The Father Will Help You –
1. Notice the invitation –
a) “Come!” The Lord throws open the door to His throne room and invites all who are in need to come to Him for help,
Hebrews 4:16/ /Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
b) His love and concern for the sheep –
Luke 12:32/ /Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
c) He is our Father and He is interested in helping us through the difficult passageways of life! He is our shepherd and He will see to what we need, Psalm 23:1-6.
II. TRANSFER YOUR BURDENS TO THE RIGHT PERSON
A. There Is One Who Cares About Your Situation
1 Peter 5:7/ /Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you./ /
1. Jesus has walked through loneliness, need, difficulty and death.
2. He has been hated, loved, accepted and rejected.
3. He knows what you are going through and He cares about you,
Hebrews 4:15/ /For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
4. Don’t think for a minute that He won’t understand! He does! He knows what you need more than you know it yourself!
B. There Is One Who Can Do Something About Your Situation
1. Not only does He know what we face, He can change what we face and how we face it!
2. His power is beyond imagination –
Ephesians 3:20/ /Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
/ Job 42:2* *I know that thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withholden from thee. /
/ Isaiah 40:12* *Who hath measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, and meted out heaven with the span, and comprehended the dust of the earth in a measure, and weighed the mountains in scales, and the hills in a balance? /
3. If He can place the stars in heaven with a spreading of the fingers, then your problems and mine pose no problem at all to Him! If He can.... for..., then He can.. For you!
III. TRUST YOUR BURDENS TO THE RIGHT PROVISIONS
A. Sometimes He Will Remove Your Burden –
1. There are times when the Lord changes your situation in an instant, removing your burden.
2. The Widow of Zarepath - 1 Kings 17
B. Sometimes He Will Relieve Your Burden
1. There are times when the Lord will leave the burden on your shoulders, but He will lighten the burden a little bit.
2. He did this for Ruth when He allowed her path to cross that of Boaz, Ruth 2-3
C. Sometimes He Will Rest You In Your Burden –
1. This is the most common aid we receive from Him. He gives us grace to carry the load we have been assigned,
2 Corinthians 12:9/ /And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
2. The glory of Him changing us in our situation instead of Him just changing our situation
3. You can rest in His yoke, His house, His Spirit, His Peace.
D. However He decides to handle your situation, you can be sure that He will always do that which is right for your life,
Romans 8:28/ /And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
E. And, you can rest on His promise that He will meet your need,
Philippians 4:19* *But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
What’s handling you today? Why don’t you just bring it to Him? He knows how to handle what’s handling you!