What is Faith : taking action based on trust
The nature of Faith: fulfills the purpose of God
Definition of Faith:
What is not Faith: doing only what you know you can do.
Feelings vs Other: Jesus didn’t feel like dying on the cross, but he love us, was committed to do what his
Father asked him to do.
Object of Faith –Jesus:
Different Kinds of Faith:
Justification by Faith
God of Grace
Covenant of Grace & Promises of Grace Old Testament & New Testament.
Jesus work of Redemption
Sanctification of Law: Jesus came to fulfill the law not to abolish it.
Redemption of Sin: Jesus is the Passover lamb
Doctrine of Atonement
What is Faith: taking action based on trust (acting on God’s Promise)
1. Genesis: 12 Abraham was told by God to leave his Land and head to the Land of Canaan where he would make him into a great nation, his name would become great, and he would become a blessing. So he left.
2. After Abraham arrived the Lord told him again 7”to your offspring I will give this land”
3. Important to recognize Abraham still struggled. Even though God had spoken to him and told him his offspring would inherit this land, he still was Afraid of the locals. Gen 12:10-20
4. Again the Lord affirms his promise to Abraham after Lot leaves Gen 13:14-18
5. He Reassures Abraham again after rescuing Lot Gen 14: it’s at this point it is accredited to him as righteousness.
6. Then more time passes and Sari has this great idea, “maybe we will have kids like the rest of the world take my servant Hagar. And Abram not thinking right says uhhh ok!” Even though the Bible show us these men God spoke to, thankfully he showed us they were just men as well.
7. Abram had to spend time with Sari for there to be Isaac. And faith become flesh.
1. Matthew 14:27-29 Peter ask Jesus if he can come out on the water. After they sink , Peter still has to get back to the boat with Jesus.
2. Matthew 8:9 & Luke 7:8 the Centurion “I am a man under authority, with soldiers under me” just say it and it will be done! Jesus is amazed at his faith.
3. Son of David have mercy on us a Faith out of suffering “ Matthew 9:27 (two blind men) Matthew 15:22-28 (the Canaanite woman crying out for her Daughter Dog eats masters crumbs)
4. The Prodigal son Faith in his Dad Luke 15:10-25 (he will take me back at least as a hired servant.. Faith in his fathers Mercy)
Jesus & God’s Definition of Love
1. Before you can love you have to realize that you your self are loved. Being loved means you recognize the spiritual value that you have. God our heavenly Father Gave up the most precious thing that he had to have fellowship with you.
1 John 3:1
How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.
2. Recognize how precious the being with God is Matthew 13 :44-45 (parables of Hidden Treasure and the Pearl)
3. Then recognize how much God wants to be with us Luke 15 (the lost coin, the lost sheep,
4. He wants no one to persish : End of the lost sheep Luke 15, Luke 13:16 (woman Bound for 18 years set free),
1 Peter 4:19 So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.