The Bigger They Are
Big Idea: No one is bigger than God
1. Obadiah was a prophet to the nation of Edom. Little is known of him. One of 13 people named Obadiah but nothing is known of this prophet. The name means “servant of Yahweh.” The book of Obadiah is the 4th of the minor prophets and is the shortest book in the Old Testament. His prophecy is of coming destruction to the Edomite nation.
2. Edomites were descendants of Esau (Genesis 25:30). Lived in a mountainous region to the south of the Dead Sea.
3. The Edomites, although related to the Israelites, did not assist in when Judah was taken into captivity and behaved as one of Judah’s foes.
4. While the book is targeted toward the people of the 6th century BC, there are lessons for Christians today.
1. No One Is Bigger Than God.
2. The World Cannot Be Depended Upon
3. Then Day of the Lord is a Certainty.
Application and Invitation