Prayer – Healing (the bad side)
As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2 His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”
3 “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life. 4 As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. 5 While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”
6 Having said this, he spit on the ground, made some mud with the saliva, and put it on the man’s eyes. 7 “Go,” he told him, “wash in the Pool of Siloam” (this word means Sent). So the man went and washed, and came home seeing.
8 His neighbors and those who had formerly seen him begging asked, “Isn’t this the same man who used to sit and beg?” 9 Some claimed that he was.
Others said, “No, he only looks like him.”
But he himself insisted, “I am the man.”
10 “How then were your eyes opened?” they demanded.
11 He replied, “The man they call Jesus made some mud and put it on my eyes. He told me to go to Siloam and wash. So I went and washed, and then I could see.”
12 “Where is this man?” they asked him.
“I don’t know,” he said.
Introduction to Healing
- Healing the bad side
- Next week, healing the good
- Third week, Healing service
- Fourth week, Celebration – food, testimonies
- 1Co 2:1-5
When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. 2 For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3 I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. 4 My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, 5 so that your faith might not rest on men’s wisdom, but on God’s power.
What hits me about this passage is Vs 1
- We/I are no different than the disciples
- We want answers (Why was this man born blind)
- Why is this happening in my life
- Theodicy – God’s goodness and omnipotence in view of the evil around us
- God is a good God – sent His Son to die for us!
- He is a God of health – We have talked about this before
- Here we see the disciples wanting an answer
- They have choose the path like most of us try to do
- The problem is more tolerable if we can ask the questions of why
- In their question though they become judge and assign blame... who sinned – they will feel better
What does Jesus do? Vs 3
- Kills the blame theory or the panel of Judges
- Neither, but this is for the glory of God
Vs 6-7 – Jesus again becomes the Care-giver
- His goodness, His care shines through and He heals the man
Get in groups and talk about Healing
- Talk about your thoughts
- Write down your concerns
- Is it scary/want to stay away from it
- Why is taboo/we don’t talk about it much
- Faith Healers
- Drama, hollering, big show, TV
- If you have enough faith - healing
- I have faith in God and not in my faith It does take faith – attitude I’ll pray but nothing is going to happen*
- Faith leads to healing – healing leads to faith
- Ministry is bad, not healing
- Gift of Healing
- Pride runaway
- This is a gift but be careful – those who have it don’t claim to have it (they know the source)
- I see God healing you (big problem) God has to tell you this or great damage can be done if not healed*
- God wants me have this cross to bear
- If this is true, by all means
- Jesus never encouraged this, Healer
- Cop out way
- Catholicism – bear your cross
- Priest stopped praying for healing
- Sacrament for “Anointing of Sick” turned to “Last Rites” (today back to “Anointing of Sick”)
- Priest visits the sick they are going to die (story about MacNutt visiting)
- It takes a Saint
- MacNutt asked by friend after seminary
- It is not about saints about but about believers (Mk 16:18)
- Disciples’ saints?
- Miracle don’t happen – primitive way before medical science
- Makes God a long way off, acts only through nature
- Is your God a personal God?
- Does He feel your pain?
- We don’t need miracles anymore – we have faith
- Faith comes from the Spirit not healing
- Healing is about God’s power, care & mercy for us, not faith
Vs 12 – I don’t know