Describing the Indescribable Rev- 1, 4-8 4-26-09
Describing the Indescribable
April 26th, 2009
I) Grace and Peace (v. 4-5a)
A) Domitian would often preface his letters of cruel punishment with the words. It has pleased the Lord our God in His grace… this was a clue that something horrible was to take place.
B) This letter open with similar words but instead of being harsh sadistic statement it is a statement filled with hope and love.
C) Grace and Peace, from: (2 Cor. 9:8)
1) God the Father- He who is, who was and is to come . (cf. Ex. 3:14) (Phil 4:6-8)
2) The Spirit- (2 Cor. 1:3-4) Comforts, prays, encourages
3) Jesus Christ-
(a) The faithful witness- Before Pilate and the world Jesus was an example of a faithful witness, it should not surprise us that we have to suffer for our faith. ((John 15:20, 1 Peter 4:12-13,19)
(b) The firstborn from the dead. As the firstborn (preeminent one) the resurrection of Jesus guarantees that His followers would also be raised. (1 Cor. 15:20)(Rev. 1:18)
(c) Ruler of the kings of the earth. – by virtue of His death and resurrection Jesus was exalted to the place of above all (Phil 2:9-11) What satan offered Jesus if He would worship him Jesus received through obedience to the Father.
· Be careful to try to get through other means what only comes through obedience and trust.
II) From Him who loves us. (v. 5b-6)
A) And has freed us from our sins by His blood. (John 8:36) We have not only been set free from the punishment of sin, we have also been freed from the power of sin in our lives.
B) And has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve Him- we were saved for more than just what is to come, we were saved to make an impact in the time right now. We are to be both agents of Christ and worshipper. (John 15:16, John 4:23)
C) To Christ be glory and power forever and ever Amen!
1) Our lives are meant to bring glory and honor to Him in everything that we do, everything we do.
2) He alone has the power to do what He said that He would do, and we can trust Him, Is it any wonder that He deserves our praise. (Rev. 4:9-11)
III) The Almighty. (v. 7-8)
A) Look He is coming on the clouds. (Dan. 7:13, Mt 24:30)
1) Every eye will see Him- All throughout history who through careless indifference have pierced Him. (Zech 12:10)
2) All the people of the earth will mourn (remorse) because of Him.
3) So shall it be! Amen. This is going to happen. Count on it.
B) No assurance could better encourage suffering believers that the knowledge that Jesus will come to set matters right and those who have opposed Him will have to acknowledge the wrong they have done to God’s servants.
C) The alpha and the omega – The beginning and everything else in between. The almighty. God not Caesar was almighty. God alone would see His people through these times and He would be true to His word. We are called to walk by faith. (Rom. 1:17)