1 Peter 1:22-25
God saved us though our obedience in believing Him and that faith should result in real love for His people.
I. The Responsibility to Love (22)
A. φιλεω love [this is how we obey the command to love with αγαπη love]
based on common expierience like being in a family or like being a New Yorker after 9/11.
1. As a result of purified souls
1 John 3:3
- perfect tense - "You purified your souls and the effect continues."
2. Through Obeying the truth
3. Sincere - unhypocritical, used of actors who would hide behind mask and pretend to be someone they weren't. Not minipulative in order to get someone to do something for you, or to feel a certain way toward you. ["How to win friends and influence people" was a handbook on how to manipulate everyone around you.]
B. αγαπη love
1. What this love proves - 1 John 3:14
1 John 4:8
2. What this love looks like - 1 Corinthians
- It is Fervent - "to stretch out the hand" this is a love with effort.
- It is from the Heart - not looking to get anything in return.
[Pastor Keith M., death threat, dad watching his family all night.]
John 13:35 - Can people tell that you are a disciple of Jesus?
What can you do to show your love to a brother or sister in Christ today? Do you know their needs?
II. The Reason to Love (23-25)
A. We are born the same
B. We have the same Bible
1. It is imperishable - that is incorruptible
2. It is living - quick, lively, fresh, full of vigour, strong, and efficient.
3. It is enduring - it doesn't change with the times because it does not need to. [political science class at Bowling Green State University, the law is always changing. Defend what you may not agree with. This lead me to the ministry so that I could work with a book that never changes.]
from Isaiah 40:6-8
4. It was preached to us all.
Jesus is coming soon.
We will all inherit the kindom of God together.
We are in this together.
So lets sacrificially and sincerely love one another now.