Questions About Heaven
When I was a small boy I heard Bro. Nathan Lassiter say that Christians go to Heaven when they die. I used to lay awake at night and wonder: If Heaven is a real place, where is it? If I were to die, would I go to Heaven immediately? Would I know my mom, dad and others in Heaven? Do they eat in Heaven? These and many other questions passed through my mind – death and eternity were mysteries to me.
I thought this morning to try and answer some of the questions believers have about the life to come.
I. Is Heaven a Real Place?
A. The Bible says that it is (Rev. 21:9-21)
B. It is not as some say a state of mind
II. What Kind of Place Is Heaven?
A. A place of indescribable beauty
1. Made of gold and rare gem stones
2. Look up on a clear night and see the beauty of the heavens and wonder what the inside must look like
B. A place of perfect rest
1. On the earth we are never able to completely lay all our worries aside
2. In Heaven every need will be met and no worry will every occur
C. A place of complete understanding
1. All questions will be answered
2. Nothing will be hidden
III. Do Believers Go There Immediately?
A. Yes. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord (2 Cor. 5:8)
B. I am not this body. This body is mine but for a season and then I will depart for my true home
IV. Will We Know Each Other There?
A. Moses and Elijah appeared on the mount of transfiguration together
1. They lived and died years apart yet knew each other on the mount
2. We will know all the great men and women of the Bible
B. We may have a new name but we will know and be known
V. Where Is Heaven?
A. No one can say with certainty but we know there are three heavens (according to Paul, 2 Cor. 12)
1. The first heaven is the atmosphere surrounding the earth
2. The second heaven consists of the stars and planets in the sky
3. The third Heaven is Paradise where Jesus dwells – it is outside the universe as we understand it
VI. Who Is Going To Heaven?
Of all the questions we have raised this is without a doubt the most important. The answer - Only those that have received the gift of God’s Son and been saved will dwell in Heaven. In the Great White Throne Judgment God will separate everyone that has ever lived into only two categories – those that have and those that have not been born again! God wants us to know without a doubt where we will spend eternity. Come to Him and leave all doubt behind!